Notice your impulse to "do," fix, and/or manage your discomfort.
Notice your breathing. (Is it shallow? Is it relaxed?)
After you've scrolled through once, go down the list again and zero in on the ones that brought up some emotional weather. Use your clearing journal to release some charge:
- Is there something in your purse or wallet that doesn't need to be there? Yes, a ton of papers
- Is there something in the backseat or trunk of your car that's been there longer than a week (that doesn't need to be there)? Nope
- Are you wearing something right now that you don't love, doesn't flatter you, or doesn't fit perfectly (yes, including underwear)? YES!!!
- Is there something in your closet that you haven't worn in over a year? OH YEAH
- Is your sock drawer a jumble of pair-less orphans? Sort of
- Do you have stuff in the fridge or freezer that is over six months old?
- Is there food that hasn't been put away? Some cereal boxes stored on counter
- Are there dishes that need to be washed? Or put away?
- Is there something on the refrigerator door that is expired, aged beyond recognition, not even noticeable?
- Is there something on the floor that belongs on a surface or in a drawer? Probably
- Do you have a plant that could use a little pruning, or watering?
- Are there lights on that are not being used?
- Do you have to dodge something to get past the entryway to your home? Nope
- Are you feeling pissed-off at a family member, partner, or roommate for not doing their part to keep things clear and tidy? Sometimes, but not right now.
- Is there something you're doing right now that can wait? No
- Is there something you can do right now that would be a better use of your time? Yes
- Is there something you can do right now that better matches your energy level? YES, SLEEEEP:)
- Are you feeling any twinges (even a hint) of overwhelm or anxiety as you scroll down this list?
- Are your buttons getting pressed by these questions?
Clearing JournalComplete these statements in your journal:
- Right now I'm feelin: a little worried
- Sensations I experienced while doing this exercise were: laughter, realization
- The problem areas that made me go into self-judgment, blame, overwhelm: the part asking about family members. I feel like maybe one of my family members gets frustrated with my lack of time to organize things!
- One thing from the list that I can address right now/ sometime today is: Organizing my purse and sock drawer:)
- Right now I'm feeling... [note: this is a new minute, notice if you're feeling the same or different than you did the last time you checked] Fine